Congress 2017: Uniting Scholars from Various Disciplines at Ryerson University
Congress 2017, held at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada, was a significant event that brought together scholars, researchers, and professionals from various disciplines. It served as a platform for intellectual exchange, collaboration, and the dissemination of research. The event was organized by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences and centred around the theme “From Far & Wide: The Next 150,” which reflected on Canada’s 150th anniversary and the future of the country.
The Congress Event
The Congress event has a long-standing tradition in Canadian society and holds great historical and cultural significance. It has played a crucial role in shaping Canada’s academic landscape by providing scholars with a platform to present their research, engage in discussions, and explore interdisciplinary perspectives. Congress 2017 built upon the legacy of previous Congress events, which have fostered academic excellence and collaboration.
Hosting by Ryerson University
Ryerson University, known for its innovative programs and commitment to experiential learning, proudly hosted Congress 2017. As a leading institution in Canada, Ryerson University provides a vibrant and inclusive environment for scholars to gather. The university’s state-of-the-art library and archives offered extensive resources for attendees, supporting their research and enhancing knowledge sharing.
In addition, Ryerson University’s publishing program played a significant role in Congress 2017. The program facilitated the dissemination of scholarly works, allowing researchers to showcase their findings and contribute to academic conversations within and beyond the event.
Role of Various Canadian Associations
Congress 2017 witnessed the active participation and valuable contributions of numerous Canadian associations. These associations represented diverse fields of study and played an integral role in shaping the content and discussions at the event. Some of the key associations involved were:
- Canadian Communication Association (CCA): The CCA brought together scholars and professionals in the field of communication studies, fostering dialogue and collaboration on topics such as media, technology, and cultural communication.
- Canadian Sociological Association (CSA): The CSA provides a platform for sociologists to share their research, exchange ideas, and address social issues affecting Canadian society.
- Canadian Association for the Study of International Development (CASID): CASID focuses on interdisciplinary research and knowledge exchange in the field of international development, aiming to address global challenges and promote sustainable development.
- Canadian Political Science Association (CPSA): The CPSA brought together political scientists to discuss political processes, governance, and policy-making, facilitating a better understanding of Canada’s political landscape.
- Canadian Philosophical Association (CPA): The CPA promoted philosophical inquiry and discussion, engaging scholars and practitioners in exploring fundamental questions and philosophical perspectives.
- Linguistics Association: Linguists from Canada and beyond shared their research on language structure, acquisition, and sociolinguistics, contributing to the understanding of human communication.
- Canadian Historical Association (CHA): The CHA provided a platform for historians to present their research, exchange ideas, and engage in critical discussions on Canadian history and heritage.
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE): ASHE focuses on the study of higher education, exploring issues related to teaching, learning, administration, and policy within post-secondary institutions.
Registration and Accommodation
Congress 2017 offered on-site registration, allowing participants to register conveniently upon arrival. This streamlined process ensured that attendees could quickly complete their registration and access all the events and sessions.
In terms of accommodation, Congress 2017 provided a range of options for participants. Both on-campus and off-campus lodging were available, catering to the preferences and budgets of attendees. Ryerson University collaborated with local hotels to offer comfortable accommodations, ensuring that participants had a pleasant stay during the event.
Special Focus Areas
- Congress 2017 featured several special focus areas, including specific conferences and discussions that delved into various disciplines. These focus areas allowed scholars to explore specific topics in-depth and engage in interdisciplinary dialogue. Some of the notable conferences included:
- CASID Conference: The CASID conference focused on critical issues and emerging trends in international development. Scholars and practitioners examined topics such as poverty alleviation, sustainable development, and global governance.
- ACQL Conference: The ACQL conference provided a platform for scholars to present their research on Canadian and Quebecois literature. It explored themes related to cultural identity, literary theory, and the Canadian literary canon.
- CSBS Conference: The CSBS conference brought together scholars interested in biblical studies and related disciplines. It facilitated discussions on biblical interpretation, theology, and the historical context of biblical texts.
- FSAC Conference: The FSAC conference focused on film studies, providing a space for scholars to explore film theory, analysis, and production in the Canadian context. It showcased Canadian cinema and encouraged critical engagement with film as an art form.
- CSRS Conference: The CSRS conference gathered scholars interested in Renaissance literature, art, and culture. It explored the intellectual, cultural, and artistic movements of the Renaissance period, fostering interdisciplinary conversations.
Additionally, Congress 2017 hosted the Digital Humanities 2017 conference, which examined the intersection of technology and humanities research. This conference showcased innovative digital scholarship, methodologies, and tools that enhance research in the humanities and social sciences.
Outcomes and Impacts
Congress 2017 generated significant outcomes and had a profound impact on Canadian academia and society. The event facilitated the exchange of ideas, fostered interdisciplinary collaborations, and promoted the dissemination of knowledge. Researchers presented their findings, contributing to the advancement of various disciplines and expanding the frontiers of knowledge.
Beyond academia, Congress 2017 had broader societal impacts. It provided opportunities for engagement with policymakers, media professionals, and the general public. The event raised awareness of critical social issues, sparked conversations on pressing topics, and promoted informed dialogue within and outside the academic community.
Congress 2017 and Beyond
Reflecting on Expo 2017, which coincided with Congress 2017 in Toronto, there was a notable synergy between the two events. Toronto Expo 2017, a celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary, complemented the theme of Congress 2017, “From Far & Wide: The Next 150.” This synergy emphasized the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration in envisioning and shaping Canada’s future.
Looking ahead, Congress events will continue to play a crucial role in fostering intellectual exchange and collaboration. These events provide platforms for scholars to present their research, engage in interdisciplinary discussions, and address emerging societal challenges. Ryerson University’s involvement as a host institution in Congress 2017 showcased its commitment to supporting scholarly endeavours and promoting innovative research.
Navigating Congress 2017: Utilizing Maps and Online Tools
Finding your way around Congress 2017 at Ryerson University and exploring the city of Toronto can be made easier by utilizing maps and online tools. Here are some tips on how to leverage these resources effectively:
- Ryerson Campus Map: Obtain a copy of the Ryerson campus map, which provides a detailed layout of the university grounds. Familiarize yourself with the map to locate specific buildings, lecture halls, and key areas where Congress events will be held. This will help you navigate the campus seamlessly.
- Google Maps: Take advantage of the powerful navigation tool, Google Maps. Whether you are exploring downtown Toronto or need directions to Ryerson University, simply input the desired location or address. Google Maps will provide you with detailed directions, travel times, and alternative routes to ensure you reach your destination efficiently.
- Toronto Maps on Google: To gain a better understanding of Toronto’s layout and attractions, search for “Toronto maps” on Google. This will give you access to various maps showcasing the city’s neighborhoods, landmarks, and public transportation routes. Use these maps to plan your leisure activities and explore the city during your stay.
- Online Search for Maps: If you have specific areas or landmarks you wish to visit, conduct an online search for maps of those locations. For example, searching “Victoria Google map” will provide you with a map specifically focused on Victoria, whether it’s in Toronto or another location. Similarly, searching “Toronto Google map” will offer maps tailored to Toronto and its surroundings.
- Visit Official Websites: For comprehensive information and official maps, visit the websites of Ryerson University, the City of Toronto, and other relevant organizations. These websites often provide downloadable maps, interactive campus tours, and additional resources that can enhance your navigation experience.
- Combine Maps and Directions: When using online maps, don’t forget to utilize the directions feature. Enter your starting point and destination to receive step-by-step instructions, including walking or driving directions, estimated travel times, and suggested routes. This integration of maps and directions will streamline your journey.
Remember, maps and online tools are valuable resources for navigating Congress 2017 and exploring Toronto. By leveraging these tools effectively, you can make the most of your experience, find your way easily, and discover the vibrant surroundings of the event.
Summary and Future Outlook
Congress 2017, hosted by Ryerson University, brought together scholars and professionals from diverse fields of study. The event fostered intellectual exchange, interdisciplinary collaborations, and the dissemination of knowledge. With its rich program, active participation from various Canadian associations, and the vibrant academic environment provided by Ryerson University, Congress 2017 stood as a significant milestone in Canada’s academic landscape.