70 different scholarly associations will be holding their own annual conferences at Congress 2017, making it the largest academic gathering in Canada. In addition, a large number of events are made available to registered attendees and the general public. Just pick and choose and make time in your agenda to broaden your horizons!
Each scholarly association is responsible for its own conference, call for papers and puts together its own conference program. Program information for each association’s conference will be posted online as it becomes available. Find out what your association is doing and get involved.
Association conferences are only open to those who register and pay the association conference fee for that association. See more in About the fees.
Come and join us for an enriching and thought provoking experience by participating in one of these free events brought to you by the Federation and Ryerson University.
- Big Thinking: Hear leading scholars and public figures from around the globe present forward-thinking research, ideas and solutions to the critical questions and issues of our time.
- Career Corner: Partake in a professional development workshop series and learn about career advancement, teaching techniques, lesson planning, publishing research and careers beyond academia.
- Ryerson presents...: Discover the host university programming.
- Reconciliation programming: Browse events with a focus on reconciliation between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal peoples by choosing 'Reconciliation event' in the calendar of events.
- Congress Expo: Visit Canada's largest academic trade show including 50 exhibitors, book launches, book signings, career presentations and networking receptions.
All of the above Congress event series are free and open to all Congress registered attendees and the general public. Registration is not required for the Congress event series. See more information about the registration access levels in About the fees.
Many associations also choose to make a few of their sessions open to a wider audience, in order to feature work being done in their discipline or to encourage interdisciplinary discussions. You can browse the online calendar of open events for a listing of events that are open to all attendees and the public.
- Perform a simple search by entering keywords such as the name or acronym of the host association
- Narrow your results by fields such as Date, Series or Host organization.
Open events listed in the calendar are a great opportunity to meet with scholars from other fields and to gain a truly interdisciplinary experience at Congress. To determine if you are eligible to attend an event, consult the registration access levels in the About the fees section.
The President’s Receptions, hosted by Ryerson University, are a long-standing Congress tradition and an excellent networking opportunity. The Congress 2017 President's Receptions will take place in the Mattamy Athletic Centre, the historic Maple Leaf Gardens, from 17:00 to 19:00 on the following dates:
- Sunday, May 28
- Monday, May 29
- Wednesday, May 31
- Thursday, June 1
To determine the date for your association, please find your association on the association page. You are encouraged to promote your association’s assigned date in your conference program.
President's Receptions are only open to those who register and pay an association conference fee. See more in About the fees.
Note: Each association is responsible for compiling its own program. Not all events from these programs are reflected in the online calendar of open events, so be sure to look up your association’s program here.
See the FAQs for more information.