The Big Thinking lecture series is held throughout Congress and brings together leading scholars and public figures who present forward-thinking research, ideas and solutions to the critical questions and issues of our time. The 2017 Big Thinking lecture series is organized by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences and Ryerson University, with the generous support of series sponsors.
This series is free and open to all Congress registered attendees and the general public. Registration is not required. See more information about the registration access levels in About the fees.
Simultaneous interpretation will be provided.
All Big Thinking lectures take place in TRSM 1-067 – Auditorium.
Saturday, May 27 - 12:15 - 13:15
- John Ralston Saul, award winning essayist and novelist, President Emeritus, PEN International, co-Chair, Institute for Canadian Citizenship and Distinguished Visiting Professor, Ryerson University
- Olivia Chow, Distinguished Visiting Professor, Faculty of Arts, Ryerson University
Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair, Anishinaabe (St. Peter's/Little Peguis); Associate Professor at the University of Manitoba
Sunday, May 28 - 12:15 - 13:15
Wade Davis, Professor, BC Leadership Chair in Cultures and Ecosystems at Risk at The University of British Columbia
Monday, May 29 - 12:15 - 13:15
- Jocelyn Létourneau, Canada Research Chair in Québec History at Laval University and 2006 Trudeau fellow
- Andréanne LeBrun, doctoral candidate in history at the University of Sherbrooke, lecturer in education, and 2015 Trudeau scholar
Tuesday, May 30 - 12:15 - 13:15
- Tracey Lindberg, author of the novel Birdie, university teacher, academic writer
- Maatalii Okalik, President, National Inuit Youth Council
Maria Campbell, Elder in Residence, Athabasca University
Wednesday, May 31 - 12:15 - 13:15
- Mohamed Fahmy, award-winning journalist
Thursday, June 1 - 12:15 - 13:15
- Aja Monet, Award-winning performance poet and human rights advocate
- Interviewed by Desmond Cole, columnist, Toronto Star
Big Thinking series sponsors: